Monday, December 26, 2011

NHM Butterflies: Ulysses/Blue Mountain Swallowtail (Papilio ulysses)

Papilio ulysses.......this one's wings are a lighter shade of blue.....variation or subspecies?

After my last observation of this species (it was dead poor thing) I had hope that I would get to see a live one on one of my next visits. I didn't think it would be the next visit that I got my wish but it was. =)

And let me tell you something. I must stress that pictures DO NOT do these butterflies justice no matter how breathtaking the photo it's 1,000,000,000,000 times better in person to see them. I thank God for such wonderful exhibits containing such epicness.

Observations:

Everyone was chasing after this thing like Moby Dick. I cannot stress to you how happy I was to see this fluttering around (they're FAST) the place as if saying "Look at me look at me!" "Try and catch me suckers! Mwahahahaha!" I had tried getting pictures of it but it was impossible.

This beauty must've had Lepidopteran ADHD because it would not stay still for too long. Any disturbance and it was off fluttering like mad looking gorgeous doing so. It's also a very good hide and go seek player because after a while it "disappeared".



B.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l!

And why in the world does my voice sound higher on camera? >_< Anywho. It had also landed on my hand for a few seconds before it took off again. It's beautiful.......beyond beautiful.

I look forward to going back......♥

No comments: