Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Epicness!

The most beautiful.....♥

I saw one today. The dark form of the female Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus). This had me doing 2 things:

1. Chasing after it like Moby Dick minus the net to get a better look at it
2. Sent me on a wild goose chase trying to ID it.

Notes on No.2: The pretty little sneak had me considering:

1. Eastern Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes)
2. Polydamas Swallowtail (Battus polydamas)
3. Red Spotted Purple (Limenitis astyanax) *The last 2 was a bout of insanity. To even consider the last two.....X_X

Nevertheless when I finally was reminded and "forced" to go researching the dark form of the female Tiger Swallowtail I had to almost facepalm myself for my utter stupidity. With all the Tiger Swallowtails we've been getting this year (starting last year) for some reason it didn't occur to me that I'd eventually "bump into" the dark form of the female.

I am stupid stupid stupid.......but in this case it was a good stupid as I needed the surprise and utter joy it brought me. It was the icing on the cake to an utterly perfect day.

And I thank it immensely (yes you read that right :P).

Edit: Tweets of epicness!

@ The park: 10 cabbage whites, 1 Agapostemon splendens, 1 American Hoverfly, 1 Cicada killer (went in burrow), 1 Ancistrocerus sp.less than a minute ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply



↑ This is making me want to go on a research rampage for Sphecius speciosus. But "The Observations of Sphecius speciosus" is for a bit later on. *^^*

1 Perithemis tenera, 2 Unidentified dragonflies, Hoverflies, 1 yellow jacket or European paper wasp, ✩1 BLACK SWALLOWTAIL✩ (I think) 대박!less than a minute ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply



This is where the insanity with the ID with this butterfly ensued as at the time I could've sworn what I saw was a Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes).

I wonder when I do my list do I count this form of the Tiger Swallowtail as separate?

At the Pool:

1 Cabbage White (Pieris rapae) & 1 dragonfly.........♥ ← You didn't expect me to post the tweet for this did you? :P Laterz! ^______^

P.S. For those of who who don't know 대박 is jackpot in Korean. ^^;;

No comments: