Friday, September 03, 2010

Bonx Zoo Butterflies - The Comma Polygonia comma


I have had past experience with these at camp but that's about it. I remember a friend of mine catching one of these and thinking it was a monarch. ^_^

So cute right? =) Anyway other then that I haven't had much. The one I saw at the Bronx Zoo landed on one of the rocks. It stayed long enough for me to get a nice look at it's beautiful wings moving up and down before it took off again.

Too bad not long enough for me to get a photo but it was nice to see one again. Haven't seen any at Morning Side. Although if there's a chance I'll have to wait for next year.

Maybe.....we'll see. Well here's the info. As always do extra research!

This butterfly is seasonally variable. The upper side of the summer forms hind wings are all black whereas, the winter forms hind wings are reddish-orange. The underside of both forms is striped with dark and light brown. There is a silvery comma mark in the middle of the hindwing in both forms. Its wingspan is 4.5–6.4 cm (1.8–2.5 inches).

The Eastern Comma may be spotted in woods near rivers, ponds, marshes, swamps and other water. This butterfly seldom visits flowers, but rather feeds on sap, rotting fruit, salts and minerals from puddling, and dung.

The green eggs are laid singly or in stacks under host plants leaves and stems. The spiny larva varies in color from pale green to yellow to white and to even black. The solitary larva feeds on leaves at night. Older larvae construct daytime leaf shelters by pulling a single leaf together with silk. The chrysalis is brown and covered with spines. Winter form adults overwinter, some will also migrate south for the winter.

There's also one more thing I should mention. The Question Mark ( Polygonia interrogationis ) is also a possibility. As in it could've been a Question Mark that I saw instead of a Comma since they look so similar except for the difference in the underside of the hindwings obviously.

Because of that I'm including the Question Mark as a bonus in said series of mine. Finding a correct picture of one should be fun.

Oh before I forget:

The dark form of comma is frequently confused with the dark form of the Question Mark (P. interrogationis), but the two can readily be distinguished by the shape of the comma mark on the underside. The pale form is easily confused with the Satyr Comma (P. satyrus), which usually occurs north and west of the Eastern Comma's range.

Oh so now you tell me......smh. ^_^ I didn't get to look at it's hindwings hence the need for the bonus entry. I also wonder.......are there Exclamation Points and Periods?

You know what I mean like:

The Exclamation Point ( Polygonia exclamens )
The Period ( Polygonia periodis )
The Bracket ( Polygonia brackii )

*Giggle* I'd imagine that if this hasn't been thought of already someone would try and steal my idea and make hybrids or something.

*Giggle* I'm all for it! Just give credit to this blog please!

Excuse me and my horrible sense of humor. ^____________^

No comments: