Tuesday, September 07, 2010

*Bonus Bronx Zoo Butterflies - The Question Mark Polygonia interrogationis


The Question Mark - Polygonia interrogationis

You see? Didn't I have a little rant on the scientific names of these things? Yup. Well I haven't had much or any ( Idk it depends on which butterfly I saw at the zoo ) experience with these so I'm just going to post the info.

However next time if the opportunity presents itself I will check the underside of the wings.

I hope that I can get to ID them correctly.

The Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis) is a North American nymphalid butterfly. They live in wooded areas and city parks, or generally in areas which feature trees and free spaces. The adult butterfly has a wingspan of 5–7.5 cm (2–3 in).

Its flight period is from May to September. "The silver mark on the underside of the hindwing is broken into two parts, a curved line and a dot, creating a ?-shaped mark that gives the species its common name."


And now we're done. Go do extra research!!

No comments: