Saturday, May 01, 2010

Bee Flies Dipalta sp.

Well I think congratulations are in order because this is the second bee fly that I've managed t find at least something on.

Later I'll dig even deeper into this genius and see if I can find anything else.

Dipalta is a genus of flies belonging to the family Bombyliidae (bee-flies). The genus is closely related to Villa.

Medium sized flies, with a conical face. and 3 marginal wing cells, on mottled wings with erratic wing vaination. Wing length 10-13mm, body length 9-10mm. Both species and very variable, Hull suggests there could be other species, or only one very variable one.

One species is from Mexico and the western United States. and the other from Virginia and Ohio. Adults are found on low growing flowers in desert areas. Larvae are parasitic on ant lions.

- Wikipedia

Again I need to dig deeper to see if I can find anything. I certainly hope I do.

No comments: