Sunday, May 23, 2010

BOTM: The Praying Mantis


Today the mantis is celebrated. Why? I'll tell you in a minute but first I feel the need to tell you about 2 species of mantis:

1. The African Mantis Sphodromanis viridis ( photo ):

First off this isn't the only mantis with this name so naturally to avoid an identity crises it's been given other names like Bush Mantis, Giant African Mantis etc.

Secondly this species has been known to produce parthenogenically.

Holy shit.

As with most mantis species,
S. viridis males are frequently the victims of sexual cannibalism. Female produce an ootheca within a few days of mating and can produce several before she ends her life cycle Each ootheca produces up to three hundred nymphs when it hatches. This species has also been noted to have produced parthenogenically.

This means that they don't need males to reproduce. Aphids do this and this is why they're so hard to get rid of without enlisted help.

I never knew or thought that this was possible. Next thing you're going to be telling is that they're parasitic mantises! 0_0

Idk if this is even possible but I'll do some research. I don't think so but you never know. Also these are often kept as pets. How I would love one or 2 but that's not possible because I haven't a clue as to where to get them from.

I did mention wanting one to my mom and she did say that I could......so there is hope on that matter. Luna moths are still in the works. I'll have to talk with her again.

But I would love a mantis in this house.

2. Brunner's Mantis Brunneria borealis:

This one is even crazier because there's only females......that's right. No male Brunneria borealis whatsoever. Which means that these produce only parthenogenically.

Once again: Holy shit.


Brunneria borealis
, common name Brunner's Mantis or Brunner's Stick Mantis, is a species of praying mantis native to the Southern United States. It is only species known to reproduce solely through parthenogenesis; there are no males.

Similar to Grass Mantid, but has distinctive fine serrations along sides of thorax, is larger, and reproduces by parthenogenesis; males are unknown. Thick antennal base characterizes this species. Wings reduced-flightless.


Sweet Jesus! What has the world come to? I love them even more now and I didn't think that was possible. And now the reason why they're being celebrated:

Today I was reunited with their song. In other words there's this song about them that I grew up with and is very important to me. I was trying to find it in it's entirety and today I was successful. Thank you God.

Oh and please note that in this song it mentions the "typical" mantis life cycle.

I'm A Fierce Hunter

I have a slender body I'm known for praying arms
If you are a beetle you might become alarmed.
For if you come too close and I'm hungry for a snack
I'll quickly use my powerful arms and then I will attack

Who Am I? Can you find me in a tree?
My color camouflages well against green leaves
Who Am I? A praying mantis that is me
I'm A Fierce Hunter other insects would agree

In early Spring I push and wiggle through an egg case
With lots of other siblings I'm feeling out of place
We all remain attached by two fine silk threads
Until we free our legs as the membrane we now shed

Now that I am growing strong I have an apatite
For moths and bees and butterflies I hunt them day and night
I grow throughout the summer my exoskeleton I shed
I sit upon a branch as my wings I now outspread

Who Am I? Can you find me in a tree?
My color camouflages well against green leaves
Who Am I? A praying mantis that is me
I'm A Fierce Hunter other insects would agree

I'm swollen with eggs as autumn slowly draws near
I patiently await for a male mantis to appear
My partner doesn't know that my supper he will be
For when we finish mating I will eat my company

It's my turn to lay my eggs and make an egg case
A sturdy branch will keep my babies nice and safe
My life is now complete as the fall wind starts to blow
Next spring my baby mantises will begin to grow

Who Am I? Can you find me in a tree?
My color camouflages well against green leaves
Who Am I? A praying mantis that is me
I'm A Fierce Hunter other insects would agree

Download: Clicky!

Info Credits: Wikipedia and Bugguide

No comments: