Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spanish Moon Moth Graellsia isabellae

I know I did a post on these while back but IMO that post was ugh as in it wasn't detailed and for that I'm sorry. I guess you could say that I've grown posting wise over the years. XD :P

So without further ado the info:

At the end of April and beginning of May the moth begins to hatch after overwintering in the cocoon. Normally moths from the same line don't copulate, so it is the condition that different lines are in a not too wide range.

After copulation the female lays about 100 to 150 eggs on the favored foodplant, pines. The larva hatch after 1 to 1.5 weeks a still begin to eat from the very hard pine needles. It takes about 1.5 month to see the last instar of the caterpillars.

In the last instar the caterpillars go down from the tree to pupate under leaves on the ground. In this phase the pupae in the cocoon overwinters until next springtime.

So once again Wikipedia provides. As for the link in the other less satisfactory post made a million years ago there's a link with some rather substantial info.

I'll have to check if it's still up. I certainly hope so as I would like to post some things here from there. There'll be more to come.

Lots of the Moon moth I wanted to mention don't have a lot of information to their names.

This is most unfortunate but to be expected.

No comments: