Sunday, March 18, 2012

BOTM: Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa)



Finally!!

First and foremost I simply must thank the Lord for all the Lepidopteran History being made. Secondly as it's late here I'll only rant about this a little.

This was 1 of 4 I had observed within the past few days. They had all just started coming out on the 14th (I think don't remember there's been so many) and these were some of the new arrivals of the year.

After all of these observations of the beauties I think I've figured out where to find them. Almost every one except one was found in fields of leaf litter with rocks (the ones you climb) and trees. And their camouflage is simply amazing!!

The other "lone" one was observed flying over my head coming down the steps from up where all these flowers are. I wonder where are they all coming from and is this normal that they're out so early? Earlier then last year. 0_0

Shout out goes to my friend Cyren =)

No comments: