Thursday, July 01, 2010

Spotted Cucumber Beetle - Diabrotica undecimpunctata

Found one in my house. This would be for a second time in years. At least I know that they're around here which isn't something to be happy about for housing who plants all the plants around my house.

And I suppose me? But I don't think they'll attack Sycamores or Japanese Pagodas....

Would they? Idk but I do know that they are pests and shouldn't be taken too lightly. They should be watched just in case their numbers get out of control.

We wouldn't want that now would we? Nope.

The spotted cucumber beetle (Diabrotica undecimpunctata) is a major agricultural pest insect (see also cucumber beetle). In the adult form it eats and damages leaves of many crops, including cucmbers, soybeans, cotton, beans and many others.

In the larval form, which is known as the southern corn rootworm, it tunnels through the roots of young plants, stunting or killing them. These native pests have a wide range of host plants, but will readily infest a field of crop plants, most notoriously corn.


Adult beetles are greenish-yellow with six large black spots on each elytron. They are about half a centimeter long. The larvae are yellowish and wormlike.

They can obviously be mistaken for yellow ladybugs. There are yellow ladybugs but I haven't seen any around here. Chances are if I did most likely it would be some weird color morph of Harmonia axyridis.

Smh....so anyway I think the total of how many I've seen so far in my life time has been 3.

Yeah I know pitiful. :P 2 at home ( each a different year ) 1 at camp. Of course I probably did see more but I just don't remember.

And here's a linky with more substantial info: Clicky!

Copyright infringement is not intended. Please don't sue. -_-

No comments: