Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Spoon - Winged Lace Wing - Chasmoptera hutti


I seriously love these. I just found out about them today and I'm going to go crazy looking for more info and hopefully more photos. This is all I could find atm:

Chasmoptera, with seven species, is confined to south-western Australia. Other genera of spoon-winged lacewings occur in Africa, southern Europe and South America. The common name (spoon-wings) alludes to the stalked hindwings with subapical expansions.

One species is still found in bushlands around Perth during November and December. Little is known about the behaviour and life-history of these odd insects. The hind wings of the species pictured measure up to 40 mm in length.

2 comments:

TrueFliesBlogger said...

This insect is so graceful and elegant! Nice find.

Brittanie said...

Thanks! I was so shocked when I found this browsing the web.