Thursday, November 08, 2007

Water Hyacinth Weevils & Moths


This is really interesting because last night I watching Nature and they were mentioning invasive species and other animals to control them. And they mentioned an insect that I've never heard of before The Hyacinth Weevil. They explained that these insects were needed to bring down the Water Hyacinth because they were so numerous.

This took place in Lake Victoria. The Water Hyacinth was taking up so much space and the people that live in that area couldn't get food because they were every where. But when the weevil was introduced the plants started decline until there were no more.

I was searching for info on the beetle and that's how I came across the Water Hyacinth Moth. I don't know if the life cycle is similar to that of the weevil but to think that the beetles emerge out of the water is amazing. I found a site that mentions both the moth and the weevil.

Clicky!

The picture above show 2 different species of Water Hyacinth weevils Neochetina eichhorniae and N. bruchi. Got them from the site provided.

No comments: